Thursday, February 15, 2024

we invent each other here, to some degree



Jacques Derrida’s 1987 preface to Psyche: Inventions of the Other seems to express an essential aspect of his self-analytical sensibility, which places author and reader in a mirrorplay of discernment and invention, inevitably.

Finding “you” to inform my self-analytical interest isn’t egoistic when I’m sensitive to the difference between fair perception of you and mirroring of my Self (the temporally deep implicity of being futural life with ever-rewritable past).

The challenge for conscience is to sustain the balance fairly, yet with engaged love of learning which enhances my sense of each of us through genuine (with you) and authentic (for myself) engagement.

So, I partnered with Jacques, who died in the fall of 2004 at the age that I am now, but who remains alive to textual presence.